Monday, May 2, 2011

i crave ketchup.

this upcoming tuesday will make two weeks that i've been on the trail. i may not be as far along as i'd like to be, but i'll take it because i haven't had any injuries other than some minor blisters, a few bruised toenails, and a case of sunburn. some of these people out here try and do big miles from the get go and end up blowing their knees out and having to pull off the trail within the first week. there was a kid that came all the way over here from tiawan and he slipped and messed his knee up on the first day out and had to go back home. and just tonight, we had to go pick up a guy that we met three days ago at the hospital because he sliced his knee to the bone. four stitches inside, seven out, and he's off the trail just like that.

a lot of things change when you live in the woods for right at two weeks. the number one thing i can think of right now is how you view grocery stores. walking into a grocery store is SO overwhelming... knowing you can have any food in the store that you want almost seems too good to be true. and i'm so aware of prices and weights. generic poptarts are only $1.25ish, whereas name brand can be upwards of $2 a box. and the other day i wanted some fig newtons, but the only generic pack they had was a two pound pack. they had it advertised on the pack as "2 pounds!" like it was a good thing or something. i don't know a single person who would willingly carry two pounds of fig newtons. ounces make pounds.

my "hiker hunger" hasn't really set in just yet. apparently, when you're in the woods, you get cravings like a pregnant woman and your appetite increases tenfold. the only thing i've been craving in the woods thus far has been ketchup. i stocked up on plenty of that from wendy's tonight so i'll have it when i fix my hashbrowns sometimme this week. maybe i'll add it to my fake mashed potatoes as well.

i'm having a really great time out here. yesterday, i did some of my first ever night hiking. had the trail not been as well-blazed as it was, it might've been a little unnerving, but it was really awesome. when we got done, it was neat to just sit down and look up at the stars and know that i had nowhere to be and nothing i needed to be doing.

i'm also meeting some really awesome people. i met ranger and slow snail, a mother and daughter from vermont. the mother fell coming off blood mountain and really hurt her knee, but instead of packing up and going home, they're taking their time and doing just a few miles a day. i met a guy named dwight from alabama. he reminded me so much of mr. tommy. :) he and i got to talkin' SEC football and he was telling me that he loves it when the players get so into the game that they cry. he told me if i ever get the chance, i should watch the ole miss vs. alabama game where it was neck and neck until the last minute where alabama held the lead and archie manning cried. as he described the game to me, he teared up and didn't apologize for it. :) his family is all accounted for from the tornadoes except for his mother in a nursing home. y'all please pray for dwight and slow snail. dwight's wife picked him up this morning (he was only section hiking), so he should have some news about his mama, but everybody affected by the alabama storms still needs so much prayer. and yesterday we did some of our first rock scrambling (having to use all fours to climb), and i don't know how slow snail will safely be able to manage with her bum knee.

i haven't really gotten a firm trail name yet... till and miss janet both called me patrick ("hey look... it's patrick and swayze") so i signed a few log books as patrick, but then tonight "our" group of four were standing around in the parking lot just havin' a good ol' time and they called me giggles 'cause i tend to laugh... a lot. so we'll see... maybe i'll give it some more time?

andddd i finally found a raincoat/jacket for swayze tonight. i'm so excited that she won't be cold anymore and that i won't have to share my fleece. :)

8 comments:

  1. 2 successful weeks! Thats awesome! Yay!! I'm so glad the storms missed you, I was really worried, but saw from your posts that you were fine :) My hometown (Ringgold, GA) got destroyed, but everyone I know is ok. My mama said you should be hiking real close to them (Rock Spring, GA-not sure of the trails exact location thru there)-so if you need anything at all my parents will be happy to help out!
    We're praying for you! Go Angie and Swayze!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're doing great and having a fantastic time Angie. You're doing the right thing by not over pushing yourself early on.. Save yourself from injuries by continuing to take your time. Most injuries can be avoided by just watching where you put your feet. (Slick rocks, slick roots, rocks that turn over or shift on you)
    Have great hike and take care..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angilonious! We found a bag upstairs that I think is yours. Has a little flashlight and some other randomness in it. I could send it to you but I don't have any mail drop info... Feel free to email or text it directly to me if you want. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah MusselwhiteMay 5, 2011 at 9:24 AM

    Post when you get into VA! When you get to the awesome bridge that is about 10 seconds from our mountain property in Sugar Grove, VA! Gorgeous up there! Be safe and enjoy your time out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go! reading your journal (and a few others) is keeping my fire burning! I had to pull of the trail after pulling my hip out around Lance creek. I made it to neel's before the pain was too much. Healing up now but I will be heading back out again (though from further north) as soon as I get the go ahead from the docs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It just dawned on me that when you get through with the Trail, you need to apply for Survivor!! You'd have a better shot at a million bucks. One in 16 if you get chosen! Pretty good odds. Probably better than the lottery at just getting chosen! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I told her that too Keva!!! I told her she should do Survivor straight off the trail, then after a bit try Amazing Race (even though she would need a partner and I don't think Swayze would count).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angie! I'm so happy you guys are doing well. We went to do some volunteer work in Glade Spring yesterday and the damage was so sad. I'm so glad you and Swayze weren't hit the the storm! I miss you hope you guys are great! Can't wait to see you in VA!

    ReplyDelete