Friday, April 22, 2011

ohhh hostels :)

swayze and i are doing well! i had my first shower today since monday night. good thing, too, 'cause i pretty much smelled like death. a few of us put all our laundry together to make a full load so i've actually got clean clothes to boot! i wasn't real sure how to handle the whole town thing at first, what with swayze and all, but the people here at neels gap have been amazingly dog-friendly.

i can't do the hostel thing too often. it put me out $20 tonight. that'll really add up as i get closer to maine. i just stayed tonight 'cause we've had to deal with rain these last three days and it was actually really cold and windy today as we hiked over blood mountain. i feel so bad for swayze. :( i couldn't find her raincoat before i left for the trail and she hates being cold so i rigged her a raincoat out of the footprint of my tent. i'll have to find her something better, though, soon.

i haven't seen any bears yet, but some coyotes came way too close to our camp the other night.

the group i'm with is pretty awesome. :) they all seem to like swayze and til, a german guy who's section hiking, gave her like half of his bag of beef jerky the other day for lunch. vicky and rich have been extremely nice to me, giving me some of their filtered water and letting me use their cell phone. another guy who's hikin' with us, james, picked up swayze's collar that i'd accidentally dropped halfway up a mountain and didn't realize until we were at the top.

and in other news, i pooped in the woods for the first time ever.

4 comments:

  1. But the question is... did you think of me when you did it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh! There's always a first time for everything. I can't believe you didn't poop in the woods on your one week hike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no "Angie poop" on the Foothills Trail?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I'm rearing to get back on the trail. I hurt my hip around Lance Creek so I had to pull out and get it fixed. I'll be rejoining the trail soon enough! (we had bears at Jarrard :) no coyotes though!)

    ReplyDelete